Body found in search for Clapham chemical attack suspect

A body has been found in the search for the Clapham chemical attack suspect, Abdul Shokoor Ezedi.

Marine police teams had been searching the Thames in London for Ezedi, accused of throwing a strong alkali on his ex-partner and injuring her daughters.

Police said the crew of a passing boat reported they had seen a body in the water at Tower Pier EC3 at 4pm on Monday.

The body was recovered by the Met’s Marine Policing Unit and has been seen by detectives investigating the chemical attack.

He is believed to have “gone in the water” a few hours after the attack on 31 January.

“Based on the distinctive clothing he was wearing at the time of the attack and property found on his body, we strongly believe we have recovered the body of Ezedi,” Commander Jon Savell said.

“We have been in contact with his family to pass on the news.

More on Clapham Chemical Attack

“As you may expect after a considerable period of time in the strong current of the Thames, formal identification is not possible visually, nor from fingerprints.

“We will work with the coroner on other ways to complete formal identification, such as DNA testing and dental records. That may take some time.”

The Metropolitan Police said on 9 February that it was likely Ezedi had entered the River Thames in the area of Chelsea Bridge in London. CCTV showed him leaning over railings just hours after the attack.

Officers said he had probably died.

Police had previously warned his body might never be found, due to the fast winter currents in the river.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

CCTV shows last sighting of Abdul Ezedi

A nationwide manhunt had been launched for Ezedi, after his suspected involvement in an attack on a 31-year-old mother and her two young children.

A corrosive alkaline substance was thrown and also injured police officers who responded to the attack, as well as neighbours on Lessar Avenue, near Clapham Common, who rushed to help the family.

Police said on Tuesday the condition of the woman has improved. She remains in a stable condition in hospital, and is no longer sedated.

Mr Savell said officers have still not been able to speak to her, but hope to as soon as she is well enough.

“Our enquiries continue into the attack,” he added.

Ezedi, 35, was previously in a relationship with the woman, police believe, but it broke down.

It was considered a possible motive by the force.

He lived in Newcastle after a successful asylum application to stay in the UK – despite being convicted of a sexual offence.